nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Weed prevention idea now newspaper toxicity

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87@frontiernet.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Weed prevention idea now newspaper toxicity
  • Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 15:59:04 -0500

On Feb 18, 2009, at 2:28 PM, Mark Angermayer wrote:

I continue to hear the possible that newspaper ink could contain toxic materials. Does anyone out there have a definitive answer?

Not a definitive answer, but for what it's worth, the most recent copy I have of the OMRI generic materials list (of items permitted / restricted / prohibited for use in certified organic systems) says that newspaper is restricted, as follows; "Glossy paper and colored inks are prohibited. Paper may only be used as a mulch or compost feedstock."

So they appear to have had a significant problem with something in glossy paper and colored ink; and some lesser difficulty with the plain black inked paper, or some other reason why plain paper should not be used as, I suppose, livestock bedding -- I can't think what else you would use it for, other than mulch or compost.

(Well, I use it under the barn swallow nest to make cleaning the mess up easier. But I don't think the certification people are concerned about that.)

Lately the newspapers I get sometimes have colored pictures scattered through the paper; sorting them out would certainly add to the time needed to lay the newspapers down.

--Rivka
Finger Lakes NY; zone 5 mostly