nafex - [NAFEX] cardboard and assorted weed barriers

  • From: Alan Haigh <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] cardboard and assorted weed barriers
  • Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 18:14:26 -0500

I've always been a bit squeemish about herbicides and so I've used all manner of weed barriers to establish the fruit trees I install and to protect my garden.  I've used cardboard for years as have many gardeners as well as newspaper, and carpet.  Sometimes I use landscape fabric.  Pretty much whatever I have around- I never let newspaper or cardboard leave my property, unless it's to mulch some trees I'm installing.  I'd be a bit reluctant to use cardboard for raspberries for fear it would deter emerging plants so I use the flimsier newspaper for that.  If there is any kind of drainage issue I use very porous landscape fabric- don't want to interfere with the transfer of oxygen for carbondioxide.

Old wool rugs or carpet works great, as long as you pull it away during the winter- rodents love it.