nafex - Re: [NAFEX] cherry-plum spacing

  • From: Steve <sdw12986@aol.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] cherry-plum spacing
  • Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2009 21:43:31 -0500

Anton, many years ago I planted a single Red Diamond cherry-plum. It sounded so good in the catalog description. It lived for several years and produced some fruit but it NEVER produced a single fruit on a branch that was above the snow line at mid winter. It was loaded with fruit buds every year but they were all dead in the spring unless covered by snow.
It's been a long time but I don't recall the fruit being very good. It got to be about 6 feet high and 6 feet wide, then the trunk split. I tried to bolt it back together but it then died completely the next winter.

Steve in the Adirondacks (zone 4a on the maps)

Anton Ptak wrote:
In our planting planned for this year we have a couple varieties of cherry-plums we're putting in the ground - about 10 each of compass and red diamond. Does anyone have spacing advice for these fruits or know how high they may get? I've read various spacing recommendations that differ quite a bit from 6 or 8ft to 15ft between plants. Also curious about bloom time (I have heard they're later than plums, so am guessing they bloom with cherries)

Anton Ptak
western WI zone 4a