nafex - Re: [NAFEX] grafting onto large b9 rootstock

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] grafting onto large b9 rootstock
  • Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 23:00:54 EST

In a message dated 2/11/2009 9:21:24 PM Eastern Standard Time, bluestem_farm@juno.com writes:

I've done a little grafting onto B-9, and I probably had the best success rates with bark grafting; I've done it with rootstocks as small as 1/4".  For bark grafting your scion is still dormant, but you wait until the root has just begun to grow so that the bark will slip.  There are good pictures of bark grafts in many fruit books, also in The Grafter's Handbook.  It isn't quite as sturdy a graft for a few years so if it grows fast you may need to stake the new growth to keep it from blowing loose on a windy day.

Hi Muffy,

I agree totally. The bark graft would and does work well with persimmon as well as most other tree species. And yes I also wait until active growth has begun and the bark is well into the slip.

The reason I suggested the splice or whip & tongue is it heals 100% around faster than with the bark graft. My preference is doing a splice or whip higher rather than a bark graft lower due to the needed additional diameter. I've done many more bark grafts than splice.

Jerry

A Good Credit Score is 700 or Above. See yours in just 2 easy steps! (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100000075x1218550342x1201216770/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072%26hmpgID=62%26bcd=febemailfooterNO62)