nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Pyrodwarf

  • From: tanis cuff <tanistanis@hotmail.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Pyrodwarf
  • Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 18:54:29 +0000

I've been trying to find a source for small numbers of them. Last year I
found only a few places, and only one fairly late in the winter ordering
season, but I think their license to sell the material ran out at last
minute. I found sources simply by googling. NAFEXlist readers might have
more ideas.

I think the trialing info looks promising, so I want to try them against the
other options I have, for light soil in z4. The most likely reason I can
think of for them not being more widely used is they are recent intro and not
many places are currently expanding pear plantings.

________________________________
> Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 10:07:08 -0600
> From: ENatelson@tmhs.org
> To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
> Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Pyrodwarf
>
> Lee,
>
> There are two clones of Pyrodwarf in the
> trade. I tried the original product, which is alleged to be the more
> dwarfing, in Houston, Texas. It proved to be higher chill
> than most of the other Old Home crosses (it is an Old Home cross with
> something
> else) with Farmingdale and with no vigor in our climate and useless as a
> rootstock. I have also used it as an interstem on P calleryana, and in this
> position it makes a nice union with both rootstock and fruiting scion but
> only
> provides slight dwarfing. It does not seem to influence fruit size yield
> or tree shape. I think the Van Weil Nursery sells both clones.
>
> Regards, Ethan

Windows Liveā„¢: E-mail. Chat. Share. Get more ways to connect.
http://windowslive.com/online/hotmail?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_HM_AE_Faster_022009