nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Pyrodwarf

  • From: "Natelson, Ethan, M.D." <ENatelson@tmhs.org>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Pyrodwarf
  • Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 10:07:08 -0600

Lee,

There are two clones of Pyrodwarf in the trade.  I tried the original product, which is alleged to be the more dwarfing, in Houston, Texas.  It proved to be higher chill than most of the other Old Home crosses (it is an Old Home cross with something else) with Farmingdale and with no vigor in our climate and useless as a rootstock. I have also used it as an interstem on P calleryana, and in this position it makes a nice union with both rootstock and fruiting scion but only provides slight dwarfing.  It does not seem to influence fruit size yield or tree shape.  I think the Van Weil Nursery sells both clones.

                                                                Regards, Ethan