nafex - Re: [NAFEX] PC survival in apples and a question about Assail

  • From: <dmnorton@royaloakfarmorchard.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] PC survival in apples and a question about Assail
  • Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 10:32:28 -0600

Here are the general characteristics of Assail as given by the New York State Agricultural Experiment Station:

The common chemical name for Assail is
Acetamiprid and this material is a member of the Neonicotinoid class of insecticides. It
is formulated as a 70% wetable powder. Assail is stable in sunlight, and stable in a range
of humidity from 20-95%. It is also stable under high and low temperatures. This
material is rapidly absorbed into the leaf and has translaminar activity. Because of this
property, it controls pests on the sprayed and unsprayed leaf surfaces. Therefore, it will
control insects feeding on the underside of the leaves, which are difficult to spray
directly. It is not absorbed by the fruit and has good residual activity on apple fruit and
foliage. This material acts at single site and affects the insect’s nervous system. It causes
the insect to become restless and go into convulsions. This inhibits feeding and kills the
insect fairly quickly.
Effectiveness and Activity-Assail is an excellent material for controlling caterpillars and
worms, and in fruit it is primarily targeted against codling moth, oriental fruit moth and
lesser appleworm. However, this material also has a fairly broad spectrum of activity and
will also control a range of other pests: European apple sawfly, white apple leafhopper,
apple maggot, rosy apple aphid and other aphids, spotted tentiform leafminer, and San
Jose scale. This material is not very effective against the plum curculio and does
notcontrol obliquebanded leafrollers

General Characteristics and Use- The common chemical name for Assail is Acetamiprid and this material is a member of the Neonicotinoid class of insecticides. It is formulated as a 70% wetable powder. Assail is stable in sunlight, and stable in a range of humidity from 20-95%. It is also stable under high and low temperatures. This material is rapidly absorbed into the leaf and has translaminar activity. Because of this property, it controls pests on the sprayed and unsprayed leaf surfaces. Therefore, it will control insects feeding on the underside of the leaves, which are difficult to spray directly. It is not absorbed by the fruit and has good residual activity on apple fruit and foliage. This material acts at single site and affects the insect’s nervous system. It causes the insect to become restless and go into convulsions. This inhibits feeding and kills the insect fairly quickly.

Effectiveness and Activity- Assail is an excellent material for controlling caterpillars and worms, and in fruit it is primarily targeted against codling moth, oriental fruit moth and lesser appleworm. However, this material also has a fairly broad spectrum of activity and will also control a range of other pests: European apple sawfly, white apple leafhopper, apple maggot, rosy apple aphid and other aphids, spotted tentiform leafminer, and San Jose scale. This material is not very effective against the plum curculio and does notcontrol obliquebanded leafrollers. - Harvey Reissig Department of Entomology, New York State Agricultural Experiment Station, Geneva, NY

[...]
Dennis Norton
Royal Oak Farm Orchard
Office (815) 648-4467
Mobile (815) 228-2174