nafex - Re: [NAFEX] PC survival in apples and a question about Assail

  • From: Steve <sdw12986@aol.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] PC survival in apples and a question about Assail
  • Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 19:51:21 -0500

Alan Haigh wrote:
Michael Phillips book "The Apple Grower" has a photo of PC larvae exiting an apple drop so I think it is only the surviving apples that crush the larvae.

I was wondering about that. I wondered if some of the "June Drop" that we pretty much ignore contained curculio that continued to develop since those apples have stopped growing.

Has anyone of you tried Assail against PC? The 3 day REI of Imidan is becomming inconvenient and I like the fact that Assail is systemic and supposedly as durable as Imidan.

I always shy away from systemic things on fruits and vegetables that I intend to eat. It seems that if they are systemic, certainly some of the chemical stays in the edible part.
I tend to be pretty trusting and if "they" say that the fruit doesn't hurt you after being sprayed with a systemic, I kind of believe it. Still....

Steve