nafex - [NAFEX] bush cherry seedlings

  • From: <kbrubaker@nc.rr.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] bush cherry seedlings
  • Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 19:32:17 -0500

Has anyone tried growing seedlings from the joy/joel bush cherry (Prunus
japonica X Prunus jacquemontii) and found them worthwhile? The named
varieties are very productive here (5-10lbs/bush each year) and only require
a couple light dustings of BT, so I would like to try more of them.

While replenishing the mulch this past weekend, I found about 30 seeds
sprouting at the base of two of the plants - must be escapees from the
harvest last year. I'm curious to see how they would turn out, but not if it
will take another 25 years of breeding to get bushes with decent quality
fruit!

Thank you,
Kurt
Durham, NC