nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Akebia vines, other fragrant vines

  • From: Melissa Kacalanos <mijwiz@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Akebia vines, other fragrant vines
  • Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 08:19:22 -0800 (PST)

I've seen one akebia here in zone 5, at Cornell University's public garden. It has beautiful flowers, and is an impressively vigorous vine, forming a dense tangle sort of like a honeysuckle, on a sturdy pergola. I seem to recall that it had a good fragrance when I stuck my nose in a flower, but it didn't really perfume the air. I don't know how hard they have to work to keep it from taking over, but it looks quite nice. They have only one, so it doesn't fruit.

For fragrance from an invasive vine, I think you can't beat honeysuckle. One vine can perfume a city block. Or for fruit, there are climbing roses with hips. I've heard that kiwi has fragrant flowers, but is that an if-you-stick-your-nose-in-it kind of fragrance, or a smell-it-when-you're-several-houses-away kind? Whatever, I'll be planting some this spring anyway for the fruit.

I've grown melons that, when ripe, filled the garden with a wonderful fragrance, so that's another option if you don't insist that fragrance has to come from flowers.

Melissa