nafex - [NAFEX] Control of Brown Rot

  • From: rmelrose@danvilleVT.net
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Control of Brown Rot
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 16:14:19 -0500 (EST)

Okay folks, I have finally decided to try to tame the Brown Rot scourge
that I have here in Vermont (Zone 4a) starting this Spring. The BR hits the
cherries and plums hard, starting with blossom blight, depending on how wet
it is (but it is usually damp around the time of cherry and plum flowering)
and typically culminates in almost complete fruit destruction and some twig
damage. I am trying to be diligent about cleaning up mummified fruit and
pruning out damaged wood, etc and last year I got a few plums (Alderman was
best by far but also Hildreth) and quite a few cherries (Erdi Jubileum was
best but Meteor was also useful); of course this success was probably due
to exceptional weather. Anyway, having got this far I am keen to do
better. Despite being organically inclined (maybe lazy), my current
thinking is to use either Captan or Indar but I am seeking advice,
especially based on experience and/or knowledge!

So, if I am to spray, what do people suggest? The two I am thinking about
seem fairly low on the toxicity scale and maybe effective. I am personally
highly sensitive to many compounds in the benzene department, so I will be
very careful.

Your thoughts are appreciated.
Richard