nafex - [NAFEX] Proper way to post

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: NAFEX Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Proper way to post
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 07:49:36 -0500

On Jan 12, 2009, at 11:00 AM, Anthony Curcio wrote:

I've noticed from time to time notices on posting questions/replies. I am not sure if I was ever told the proper method. I click reply and then add my question/reply with my name to the subject line and put both in parenthesis. Is this the suggested method ?
Thank you, Anthony z4b

1) make sure the Subject is descriptive of your topic, so people can search by subject line in archives. If you are changing the subject (thread drift) from that of the post to which you are replying, you can use "new subject -- was old subject". E.g., "crab apples--was apple bloom times". It's especially annoying when the "subject" comes through as "digest. . . ." That's long and unhelpful. PLEASE, PLEASE change the subject line of you are replying to a digest. Your name is not needed in the subject, although it's nice to sign your posts (see 3).

2) It's nice to delete as much of the old post as you don't need. When I remember I like to remove all the NAFEX footnotes (another copy will be added either way, and one copy is plenty.) Your new content should be visible when someone is looking at just the first page of the e-mail, in any event.

3) It's helpful to sign your post with your name and some indication of where you live and grow stuff. I usually say "eastern Mass, zone 6" after my name, but don't always bother if I'm writing about something that doesn't depend on my geography, such as this note.

That's about it. Enjoy, and happy to have you.

Ginda