nafex - [NAFEX] grapes for raisins in wisconsin

  • From: "Anton Ptak" <antonptak@gmail.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] grapes for raisins in wisconsin
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 15:17:24 -0600

Uh-oh its another first time nafex-er. Hopefully this posts well. I'm curious as to anyone in the upper midwest zone 4a (I'm in western WI) region has had success with a grape that is hardy to -30F, seedless (or very small seeds), large and meaty enough to dry well for raisins. I've asked several people so far and have either heard 'no' or 'hmmm . . . interesting - i don't know'. the only one i've tried so far is somerset which seemed a bit too small to work well. Mybe it's a lost cause but I thought I should put it out there.

i'm into drying with a couple of solar dryers i rigged up, and am thinking of being able to market dried fruit in the future, and drying whole fruit (that doesn't involve cutting into it) may help navigate the regulations easier, so if anyone has other recommendations for fruit that may work well for drying whole, i'd also be interested in hearing about it. thanks!

sincerely,
Anton Ptak
western wi, zone 4a