nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Anthony Curcio :Honeyberry

  • From: "Kathryn Mathews" <kathmath@charterinternet.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Anthony Curcio :Honeyberry
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 05:43:28 -0600

I've been growing Berry Blue (a tall, climbing variety) and Blue Sky (3-4'
tall and round) for a few years in southern MN. The first few years they
didn't grow at all, but I've been working on getting my ph down from 7.5, so
it may have had something to do with that. This past year they grew enough
for me to be encouraged about their prospects. I have also heard they are a
bit slow to establish. Taste does vary. Berry Blue was just OK. Blue Sky
was sweeter and I really liked it. They are not at all astringent or mealy.
My husband won't eat them because they are too tart, but he doesn't like
currants either, which I think they taste sort of like. You do need to wait
until they turn from light blue to dark purple. In fact, because of their
pellet-like shape, Scott asked me if I was sure they hadn't come from the
back-end of an animal! They do suffer from leaf diseases late in the summer
here, especially if it's very humid. I'm going to keep them for at least a
few more years. If they continue to grow and are at all productive, I'd be
very pleased because I really like getting fruit so early in the season.l

Kathryn Mathews

I've been thinking about buying honeyberries also. Look at Burnt
Ridge Nursery They have four types of honeyberries and their prices
are more reasonable. Research on internet shows most people thought
honeyberries are tiny and have a bland flavor. Some people say they
are great for jam. I never ate any honeyberries so I don't have an
opinion. I'm wondering if honeyberry grows best in acold climate.

sites.
permission!

**YOU MUST BE SUBSCRIBED TO POST!**
No exceptions.