nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Medlar advice

  • From: Karen Tillou <arboretum@homeorchardsociety.org>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Medlar advice
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 16:54:02 -0800

i have a couple cultivars - Nottingham is very reliable, decent sized fruit, but two others this year were outstanding:

Monstreuse d'Evreinoff - HUGE!  no kidding, the most consistently big medlars i've ever seen, most 2.5-3 inches diameter at least.  good flavor, bletted fairly quickly (7-10 days) on my kitchen windowsills.  available as scions from the corvallis NCG repository, or i could cut you a little one.

Puciu Big - also nice sized and flavored, comparable to nottingham. also from the corvallis repository.

Westerveld - wins the wimpy size award.

here's the deal: you can spread it on toast, or make a time-consuming pudding, but you can only eat so many out of hand: there is no denying that they have a pasty quality that gets old if fresh eating.

their fall color and flowers and small tree size are lovely qualities though, i must admit...

karen tillou
oregon city, OR - zone 8a and wet