nafex - [NAFEX] Medlar advice

  • From: "Ernest Plutko" <ernestplutko@wiktel.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Medlar advice
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 17:19:16 -0600

Every January I get strong desires to start gardening and buy
mailorder plants. Way way to early but they'll come in May and I
like ordering them. I have apple trees but I really don't like to
eat apples. I think I will order medlar trees. Supposedly hardy to
-35 F which might not be cold hardy enough here, but maybe. Medlars
have a bad reputation for being yucky to eat, but maybe not. They
are more of a bush and I can protect them during the winter. Any
advice about their taste, hardiness and what variety to order.

Zone 2/3.