nafex - [NAFEX] Haskups

  • From: "Martha L. Davis" <martha_davis@earthlink.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Haskups
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 12:13:55 -0500 (EST)

With all the talk on Haskup I am reminded of the talk Michael Mcconkey of
Edible landscaping gave at a meeting. He said that he almost dropped them
from the catalogue until one woman in Maine wrote and raved about them. No
one else had much success. I'm not sure whether it was lack of pollinators,
or frost damage of early blooms (I think that the first ones available
bloomed quite early), or whether it was the growing temperatures, but it
seems like people in the middle to southern US should do some research before
they plant lots of them. They seem quite adapted to Northern conditions and
the Canadian researchers don't seem to have had any of those problems.

Martha

  • [NAFEX] Haskups, Martha L. Davis, 01/08/2009