nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Soil Maps

  • From: "Eddie Earles" <jas39a@earthlink.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Soil Maps
  • Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2009 16:39:21 -0500

Don't sweat the bit about frost-free days.  Some soils occur over a wide geographic area, that may encompass quite a stretch of latitude or elevation.  Cecil soils, for example, occur from central Virginia down to central Georgia and Alabama.  It may well be that the entire range of listed frost-free days is correct for your soil, if it occurs over such a wide range.  You can defer to your own knowledge of local climate for planning purposes.

Eddie Earles