nafex - [NAFEX] transplanting paw paws

  • From: "Alan Haigh" <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] transplanting paw paws
  • Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 10:38:03 -0500

In spite of my original skepticism, I am very impressed with the amount and quality of the evidence supplied here about the efficacy of stripped leaf, summer transplanting of paw paws.  So far no one has offered a theory of why it works so well and it interests me enough to submit my own.  I can only hope my theory interests you.

Various species have different seasons of root growth- something that is rather understudied, I think.  Species also vary in the general vigor of their root growth.  Paw paws have large fleshy leaves that may transpire more water then most species and judging from the sluggish establishment they are famous for, root growth seems to be less than vigorous.  This would include the crucial regenerative root growth following transplanting.  Even potted paw paws are often said to establish more easily if partial shade is provided the first year or 2 but perform well in full sun once established.

My theory is that transplanted paw paws may have very vigorous root growth in mid-summer but are nevertheless unable to provide enough water if the leaves are left on the tree.  They have fleshy roots that presumably are a good reservoir of stored energy and this energy is directed to "emergency" root growth when planted after the remaining buds on the tree have gone into dormancy by mid-summer.  When these buds finally spring to life the following season an adequate fibrous root-system has already been established to provide adequate moisture for these emerging buds.

On other species of fruit I have observed tremendous root growth during bud break in Spring.  I've also observed significant but less vigorous root growth as late as December from leafless trees.   Perhaps paw paws put out similar root growth, but not sufficient to support the rapidly emerging leaves.

I still wonder if those of you who had trouble establishing paw paws with spring planting couldn't achieve better results if you kept your transplants in heavy shade for the first month or so of the growing season and then gradually reduced that shade to approximately 50%.

It wouldn't surprise if this method worked better than strip-leaf mid-summer transplanting because I get good results just by transplanting dormant plants to a shady spot in the fall without wasting the plant energy lost when stripping leaves.