nafex - Re: [NAFEX] apples for drying

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: lisaalmarode@yahoo.com, North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] apples for drying
  • Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2008 09:04:50 -0800

"Maiden Blush" is an old variety that was grown extensively for drying.
-Lon Rombough
NEW grape pruning video: http://www.bunchgrapes.com/dvd.html
For all other things grape, http://www.vitisearch.com
A video about The Grape Grower : http://cookingupastory.com/index.php/2008/04/18/the-grape-grower/
On Dec 8, 2008, at 9:03 AM, Lisa Almarode wrote:

I've been unhappy with the apples we dried this year - they were too tart (Goldrush) or utterly bland and tasteless (mystery apple #2), and since we have opportunity to put in a few more trees, I'd like suggestions for good ones for drying. Ideally late, large, and disease resistant (although we've had next to no disease problems with the apples, just lots of worms)

The online resources I found don't seem to talk much about drying - unless that's counted under "cooking"?

The new tress will be semidwarf, and have to deal with clay soil, blackberry roots, and summer heat and sun, and it's along a road some distance from the house, so might get some pilferage - a less beautiful apple might be less tempting.

Lisa in Oregon
USDA zone 7 - Sunset zone 7 - 1800'

**YOU MUST BE SUBSCRIBED TO POST!**
No exceptions.