nafex - Re: [NAFEX] thread blight

  • From: "Donna &/or Kieran" <holycow@cookeville.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] thread blight
  • Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2008 08:02:19 -0600

Donna,
There were some scale insects on some of the shoots you sent. The main problem you were seeing is thread blight, caused by the fungus Corticium stevensii. Go online to <www.caf.wvu.edu/kearneysville/pdfFiles/threadblight.PDF> for a fact sheet about this disease.

David Lockwood
Plant Sciences

So does anyone know anything about this stuff? There is almost nothing online about it and nothing in my old book on plant diseases. What I am wondering is whether lime sulfur this winter will help slow it down. The link above says it occurs when there is poor air circulation (the pines are coming down) (and we did have a lot of rain early in the summer). The problem is that it's on a sour cherry, a European plum, a pear and an apple, all of them at least 50 ft from the others. I have no idea which scions from where brought it in or if it was here to start with. It doesn't hurt the twigs or fruit, just the leaves. Thanks. Donna