nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Fruit Nut and Berry Inventory Book

  • From: "Donna &/or Kieran" <holycow@cookeville.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Fruit Nut and Berry Inventory Book
  • Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2008 07:53:19 -0600

I understand that the editors just used nursery descriptions. I have been using it to find info on varieties I am interested, for comparison with what others in other books, catalogs, online and on this group have to say. It's really fun for me to ferret out information that way. For example, I know two people who didn't like the 'Lucious' pear but someone on this group loved it. I've heard varying opinions on the 'Richard Peters' pear. The Pineapple pear is extremely popular with everyone I have given fruit to, but the listing at Corvallis says the fruit is crummy. Personally, after my attempts to eat Shinko and Korean Giant, I'll keep my Pineapple trees. (Hey, they finally did get pretty edible, it's just I had so many Winesaps from a friend's tree, I couldn't be bothered to eat those pears. And they didn't keep at all like I was led to believe they could. The last 2 or 3 not rotten got shared with friends this week. That's a long time short of 4 months storage, and they weren't impressed either. I've decided rather than regraft the trees, I'll try taking the fruit to the farmer's mkt next year and see if some Asians will buy them. )
Another thing I have done with the Inventory is see where all the nurseries are located that sell a particular variety. If California, that implies better quality, but says nothing good about it's reaction to late freezes or humid climates. If up north, implies hardiness. If in the SE implies I might be able to grow it. It's a good tool. Donna