nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Foxwhelp cider apple and victoria limbertwig

  • From: David.Maxwell@dal.ca
  • To: Claude Jolicoeur <cjoli@gmc.ulaval.ca>, lisaalmarode@yahoo.com, North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Foxwhelp cider apple and victoria limbertwig
  • Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 14:10:39 -0400

Claude (and Lisa to a lesser extent, because I can't send you grafting wood
across the
border), I have had trees which were labelled Foxwhelp for a number of
years,
(unfortunately, so long ago that I have lost the original origin). I never
thought to look more
closely at my apples, and now there are none to look at, because they are all
in my cyder.
My "Foxwhelps" ripen in mid-September, (not October), but are small, and as I
remember
bright red, and certainly resemble the picture of Foxwhelp in Joan Morgan's
book (The Book
of Apples). I may actually have genuine Foxwhelp, (but would want to verify
this more
specifically next season before swearing to it). I would be happy to send
you scions if you in
fact do not have the real thing. (I also have a number of other cyder
varieties if you are into
making cyder, including a couple of French ones (Frequin Tardif, Pomme Gris,
Marechal,
Mantet)