nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Wild persimmon tasting

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Wild persimmon tasting
  • Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 10:44:45 -0800

Suppose you had happened on a wild crab apple and found it to be unpleasant to you. Would you dismiss all apples on that basis?
Persimmons are like any fruit in that some selections are considerably different from others. I have range of varieties and some are decidedly lacking in flavor here in Oregon, unless we get an exceptionally warm year. Others are consistently good every year. A well ripened persimmon can be as sweet and complex in flavor as you could want a fruit to be.
Wait until your Morris Burton ripens it's first crop (it's slow to bear). It's definitely one of the sweeter ones. It was selected because the farmer who found it noted that the animals all went to that one tree in preference to all the others in the area.
-Lon Rombough
NEW grape pruning video: http://www.bunchgrapes.com/dvd.html
For all other things grape, http://www.vitisearch.com
A video about The Grape Grower : http://cookingupastory.com/index.php/2008/04/18/the-grape-grower/