nafex - Re: [NAFEX] lemon juice substitute

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] lemon juice substitute
  • Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 20:17:42 -0800

Trifoliate orange fruits will give about one teaspoon of juice - the rest of the pulp is full of seeds, and the fruits also contain a bitter resin that quickly gums up anything it contacts. Cut a fruit and you have to scrape the resin off the knife blade.
At one time there was a lot of work done in trying to hybridize trifoliate orange with other citrus to get cold hardy citrus. Some selections weren't bad, but none were very good. I had a hybrid of pommelo with Poncirus trifoliata that looked like a grapefruit with lots of seeds and wasn't too bad for juice but wouldn't go as a grapefruit substitute.
The main problem with most of the hybrids is that they produce all nucellar seedlings. That is, the seedlings come from mother tissue, not from a union of sperm and egg, so it's very hard to get past the initial hybrid to select out the undesirable traits.
Go to the NAFEX library and look up the late Major Collins' work on hardy citrus.
-Lon Rombough
NEW grape pruning video: http://www.bunchgrapes.com/dvd.html
For all other things grape, http://www.vitisearch.com
A video about The Grape Grower : http://cookingupastory.com/index.php/2008/04/18/the-grape-grower/