nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Snip your posts

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87@frontiernet.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Snip your posts
  • Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 10:28:15 -0500

On Nov 26, 2008, at 9:52 AM, Jim Fruth wrote:

[ . . .]
Whenever I post, I copy only that which I am responding to and paste it into
my outgoing post. I suspect many either don't know how to do that or are
unaware of the process.
Then there are Mac users. The Macs I have attempted to use didn't allow
the copy/paste feature. When my 'puter goes to the shop, I don't post
messages because I use my wife's (newer model) Mac and it doesn't know what
copy/paste is.

I copy/paste on my Mac all the time. Are you trying to use Windows keyboard techniques instead of the right ones for Mac? With a Mac, you hit command-c to copy and command-v to paste. I almost never use a Windows computer; but I don't think Windows has the command key (it's the one with the apple on it), so presumably something else is used. -- You can also re-program the keys used to give particular instructions, so maybe your wife's has been set up to do something different. -- You can also of course copy and paste from the Edit menu, click on Edit at the top of the screen. If "copy" is grayed out, it's because nothing's highlighted.

The easiest way I find to snip a post is to hit reply and then delete the unwanted stuff. If/when there's lots of unwanted stuff, I can highlight the wanted text in the original email and then hit reply, and wind up with just the highlighted portion in the reply window. That's in Mac OSX Mail; I would guess that newer Windows email programs will do something comparable.

--Rivka
Finger Lakes NY; zone 5 mostly