nafex - [NAFEX] Lemon juice sub

  • From: "Richard Moyer" <ramoyer@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Lemon juice sub
  • Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 00:18:17 -0500

Doug,
We use the juice of Chaenomeles quince; we are steam extracting and canning a batch today.  A number of homes grow them as an ornamental, so the round fruit is free for the asking in the fall.  On our own plants, we get much higher production with crosspollination.  Our favorite cultivar is Toyo Nishiki, from Hidden Springs Nursery.

The very sour juice keeps for months in the fridge, or years on the shelf when canned.  Doesn't sub for all lemon juice recipes, but we use it for a number of them.
Richard Moyer
SW VA  Enjoying kakis

Doug wrote:
While everyone is contemplating their reply to Jerry, can anyone
recommend crabapple cultivars (or any other fruit source of juice)
useful as a temperate zone substitute for lemons?

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada

Jerrydana5@aol.com wrote:

> I  have heard that crab apples really add flavor to apple cider if used
> in small amounts.  I'm thinking of planting a crab apple tree for that
> reason. Has anybody added crab apples to applesauce to add zest?  Or
> anything else like pie?  Jerry in southern Indiana

  • [NAFEX] Lemon juice sub, Richard Moyer, 11/25/2008