nafex - [NAFEX] Chokecherry pitter

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jfruth@tds.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Chokecherry pitter
  • Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 10:15:29 -0600

Chokecherries are normally used just for jelly and syrup because the pits are too small for a cherry pitter to be effective. That's a shame because (pitted) chokecherries make wonder cobbler and can be used almost as many ways as (normal sized) cherries. I know some people who make chokecherry pie without removing the seeds. There is a better way:
http://www.kitchenemporium.com/cgi-bin/kitchen/prod/18vw200.html Use the Victorio Food Strainer. At the time when you get yours, also buy two of the extra accessories that are available. In order to pit chokecherries, you'll need the "Pumpkin Strainer" and the "Grape Spiral".
The downside of the Victorio Food Strainer is that it doesn't come with good instructions. You need to feed it a bit more slowly than you might with similar looking utensils. When I first used mine, I pushed chokecherries into it like I was feeding a meat grinder and it plugged up quickly. I cussed at the machine alot before I finally figured out how to use it.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
For jams, jellies & syrups: