nafex - Re: [NAFEX] moles and voles

  • From: Hilborn.E@epamail.epa.gov
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] moles and voles
  • Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 13:04:26 -0500

I believe that the damage on my property is caused by the voles that
colonize the moles' abandoned tunnels. There is a brief description of
the two animals with an interesting test (link within the document) to
check for voles- "the apple sign test".

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/gaston/Pests/voles.html

I have had personal success with eradicating voles from within my fenced
orchard. It doesn't seem as if it would work, but it has apparently for
me... I cut strips of Juicy Fruit gum into 1/2 the long way. I find a
tunnel close to the surface of the ground and insert these strips into
the tunnel through a small hole I create. After a few days, I can
collapse the tunnels and they do not reappear for a season or three....

Betsy Hilborn
7a NC