nafex - Re: [NAFEX] moles

  • From: "Donna &/or Kieran" <holycow@cookeville.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] moles
  • Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 23:13:52 -0600

K. Christensen wrote:

 "I had a big mole problem for years in the lawn, made me very frustrated. Then I realized that.... the moles kept the earth in my rather large lawn aerated."

Yeah, the moles used to drive me crazy, I'm sure smoke used to come out my ears.  Then I decided to just be philosophical about it, and keep in mind that their deeper tunnels were aerating down in the clay where I can't possibly do it.  The real problems occur during a drought, such as we have been having for most of the last 4 years.  The moles cut through or loosen roots of veggies that need those roots to get the last of the remaining moisture deep in the soil.  Worse yet, if you water any particular bed to try to save those plants, the moles will really work that area back and forth till everything in it is dead or wilting.  We had a dog for about 18 months who was really good at catching moles and I got spoiled.  Now she is gone and I am dealing with the horror of large areas tunneled.  The two new dogs don't show any sign of figuring out the trick.     Donna