nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Asian/American Plums

  • From: "Donna &/or Kieran" <holycow@cookeville.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Asian/American Plums
  • Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 09:30:10 -0600

"Superior I
had grafted the previous spring and it produced an abundance of fruits
only one year later. "

Oh, this is something I didn't find out till after I had done the grafts. These Jap Am plum hybrids bloom on new wood, so I will get the opportunity (if the weather cooperates) to evaluate them next year. That is a really big incentive to try the whole set. Can you bag plums the way you all have been doing apples? I sewed a Euro plum branch into a net curtain last year and hung it up on a nearby branch to keep the weight of the curtain and fruit from hanging it to the ground. It worked, though I think the fruit might have ripened better if the tree had less shade on it. Just fixed that problem 2 days ago. Donna