nafex - [NAFEX] Asian/American Plums

  • From: Scott Smith <scott@cs.jhu.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Asian/American Plums
  • Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 09:22:01 -0500

To add to the discussion here, I have not yet had any problem with my hybrid plums getting pollinated and I have no wild plums. Superior I had grafted the previous spring and it produced an abundance of fruits only one year later. I am in Maryland. Maybe Alan is on to something with cold climates having more difficulty. I have had more problems with the more pure salicina varieties such as Satsuma, and even greater problem with pluots which are very unreliable here. Prunus simonii hybrids also do poorly for me, e.g. Wickson. All of the varieties that do poorly for me do well in even more mild climates such as California.

Scott