nafex - Re: [NAFEX] self fruitfulness

  • From: "Mark Angermayer" <hangermayer@isp.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] self fruitfulness
  • Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 09:47:04 -0600

Alan and Scott,

I also think there is something to what your saying  I don't know about pears or plums, but I occasionally hear folks on the list talk about pollination problems with peaches.  Since most peaches will pollinate some fruit even with caged flowers, it's probably not a pollination problem.  I've noticed the folks having trouble with peach fruit set are mostly in northern areas.  Areas not necessarily with cold winters, but at least cool springs.  This year we had an unusually cool spring for this area.  I noticed the peach flowers, even after petal fall, started drying up, looking like they weren't fertilized. You can watch an unfertilized flower.  It just slowly dries up and falls off.  This spring all the peach flowers looked like they were at the beginning of that stage, and some were already falling off.   Then we finally got some warm weather and the flowers plumped back up.  I know there has been a lot of research on exactly how much cold various flowers can take, and still survive, but I wonder how much research has been done with prolonged cool weather (two or three weeks) and it's affect on fruit set.  The pollinators always get blamed for poor fruit set when the weather is cool, what if it's the flower's fault?

Mark
KS