nafex - Re: [NAFEX] self fruitfulness

  • From: jas39a@earthlink.net
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] self fruitfulness
  • Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 07:57:25 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

In my experience, all varieties of European pear are self-fruitful when they bloom in that temperature range.

For years, I mapped soils on the Coastal Plain of South Carolina.  I would come across abandoned farmsteads from time to time, and they nearly always had a pear tree; and I never found one (out of dozens) that, during the growing season, was without fruit.  This was the case even when there was no other pear tree within miles (and I could be certain of this, from having walked nearly every acre of ground in the vicinity).

Eddie Earles