nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Corail (Pinova)

  • From: David.Maxwell@dal.ca
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Corail (Pinova)
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 11:15:46 -0400

I am curious as to how you make out getting Pinova (Corail) scions.  This is a patented cultivar, and when I tried last year to get scions I got a flat and absolute "No".  I was given the address of the patent holder (in Washington) and told that if they agreed, I could have a few sticks.  "They" wouldn't even bother to answer my request.
This is a whole area which I have not seen discussed on NAFEX - with the advent of the concept of patenting plant life, effectively most newer cultivars are placed out of the reach of backyard growers.  (Personally, I find the whole concept of patenting living things inappropriate.  I can understand the idea in relation to new cultivars, (even if I disagree with it), but then extending the concept to include things like neem oil (which has been around since before man) is abhorent.)
All this said, Corail is an excellent apple, not well known in North America (perhaps because of the control execised by the patent holders?), but widely available and popular in Europe. Crisp, juicy, very flavourful.  (Much more flavourful than most of the varieties in commercial cultivation in North America; does this say something about the tastes of North Americans vs. Europeans?  Is there a cultural difference in tastes?)