nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Nafex and the economy

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Nafex and the economy
  • Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2008 20:44:40 -0800

While home tissue culture is possible, there are plenty of older low tech methods that still work fine. I knew an apple variety collector who kept a stool bed and propagated his own rootstocks for many years. A space of a few square feet gave him a couple dozen new rootstocks to use every year. Go farther back and layering was used for centuries to propagate apples and other fruits. If you aren't in a hurry, layer a tree to get on it's own roots, let it grow a couple of years, then use root cuttings to start new trees. The shoots from the roots go through a juvenile phase like a seedling. In the juvenile phase, many perennials will root from stem cuttings when they wouldn't root as cuttings from an adult tree. The late Sherwood Akin used a variation of that method to grow plants on their own roots that were hard to propagate other ways.

There are plenty of low-tech methods that still work and will produce more than sufficient quantities of plants for a lot of uses.

-Lon Rombough
NEW grape pruning video: http://www.bunchgrapes.com/dvd.html
For all other things grape, http://www.vitisearch.com
A video about The Grape Grower : http://cookingupastory.com/index.php/2008/04/18/the-grape-grower/