nafex - [NAFEX] yellow cherries and birds

  • From: "Alan Haigh" <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] yellow cherries and birds
  • Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 16:14:42 -0500

While the birds in my area are generally more attracted to red, blues and purples than yellows they still will consume all my Yellow Spanish (I think that's the name) cherries if left unnetted, but than they are drawn to the area by the reds.  I actually just cut down this cherry tree because it was not bird resistant and not as tasty as my Lapins or Kristin cherries.  It was a variety that had no red blush whatsoever.

I do have good success netting directly over the tree with woven and not monofilliment netting which is much less hassle and much stronger so it offers more resistance to squirrels and other pests as well.