nafex - Re: [NAFEX] A golden cherry idea

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] A golden cherry idea
  • Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 11:39:04 -0800

Title: Message

I’ve really liked Rainiers fresh off the tree, and I think the idea of using yellow or even blush cherries to thwart the birds will work fine.  I don’t want Randy to think he’s going to lose out on flavor by planting a flavorful gold or blush cherry.  Flavor will depend on the growing conditions and the palate.  I don’t argue that you find them milder; there are some cherry-red cherries I absolutely love, and I’ve certainly had some blush cherries that taste a little watery compared to some rich reds.  I’m saying you won’t necessarily know until you grow, but I think the overall flavor/not-having-to-net experience would be rewarding.

Should someone want less netting problems with red cherries, you could try summer-pruning strategically keep trees smaller and easier to net, or grafting onto your blush tree so you can wrap the red-fruit-bearing-branches with netting rather than net the whole tree.  As far as pie cherries, some of the bush species may do well, especially (in my palate’s opinion) when you combine a few varieties, including bush cherries, sweet cherries, chokecherries, red currants, etc.  Bush cherries are very easy to net.

I agree the gold cherries don’t look as good frozen.  I think they look better canned, but cook better from frozen.

~ Stephen