nafex - [NAFEX] blueberry questions

  • From: "Alan Haigh" <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] blueberry questions
  • Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 09:03:29 -0500

Mark, sulfur is not very mobile in my experience and knowledge and tends to get locked up near the surface if not well incorporated.  Carl Whitcomb's research suggests this is not as serious a problem in alleviating chlorosis in established plants as generally believed, however, because the roots will generally find what plants need in a limited area.  Mulching can also help give roots better surface access. This is not your problem, of course, because you plan to mix in amendments anyway but it should alleviate any fears of unintentionally acidifying soil downhill.

I think it's a mistake to wait an extra season, just prepare your bed now and plant in spring or even this fall.  Why wait an extra year?  Your pH is not that high anyway and the peat will have an immediate affect.  Mix the peat at a 50/50 ratio about a foot down.

Don't take my word for this.  Read  Carl Whitcomb's explanation of experiments with establishing Azaleas in alkaline soils in Florida in his book, "Establishment and Maintenance of Landscape Plants"  (self published), which I believe to be available from the NAFEX library.  I think it will clarify your options better than I can.  Also read what he says about saving already established pin oaks with sulfur.