nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Berry Nurseries

  • From: John S <swim_at_svc@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Berry Nurseries
  • Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 21:28:18 -0700 (PDT)

I have ordered from Hartman's.  Their plants are small but inexpensive.  I had some plants arrive dormant/dead due to being too dry and not emerge from dormancy, so it is important to make careful note of their (only) three week guarantee.  With dormant plants, that can be a tight time frame.  While they do retail sales (I am a retail customer) they seem to focus on wholesale.

1) I have concerns about their use of names and naming of plants.  I had a small order of lingonberries arrive that were not the same variety as advertised and ordered.  They did correct the problem after a number of requests and went on to help me fill out my collection of lingonberry varieties for trial which was appreciated.  If memory serves me correctly, they call Actinidia arguta "Arctic kiwi" while more common usage reserves that for Actinidai kolomika.

2) They are slow on email communications in my experience.

That said, they have treated me well and have some things that are difficult to get elsewhere.  If you are looking for larger plants and few of them such as is typical in retail sales, then there are better places.  However, if you are looking to plant larger quantities (wholesale) and must control costs, then they are a possible source.

Your mileage may vary.