nafex - [NAFEX] apple questions

  • From: Jerrydana5@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] apple questions
  • Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2008 13:21:16 EDT

I have a couple of apple questions:
1.  My apples get this covering of fine black spots on their skin, some fungus I suppose.  I scrape it off with one of those plastic "tuffie" scrubbers for washing dishes before making sauce.  But I wonder, is there a better way?
2. I've had some problems off and on with blight in the last couple of summers as they have been wet and cool.  I've beaten it so far by spraying with streptomycin and cutting off the young shoots as soon as they start to wilt.  I always sterilize by trimmers between cuts with alcohol. (Bleach is too hard on the trimmers.)
When I trim my trees in the winter/early spring, do I still need to sterilize my trimmers, as frankly, it's a pain to constantly dip them in alcohol?

Thanks.  Jerry in southern Indiana