nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Applesource tastings

  • From: "Mark Angermayer" <hangermayer@isp.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Applesource tastings
  • Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 13:54:10 -0500

Hi Alan,

Fortunately for me, Applesource is located in a climate very similar to my own.  Or at least I assume so.  They are at latitude 40 degrees in the Midwest and I'm at 39 degrees (a latitudinal difference of about 70 miles).  Obviously the soil could be different, but again since were both in the Midwest, it may not be that much different.

As far as judging an apple from one sample, I agree that's not best.  However, I've noticed peaches (my preferred fruit) coming from the same tree have little variance with one another, as long as they're picked at the same maturity.  The same seems to hold true with store bought apples that are at correct ripeness.  I crisp Fuji always seems to taste like a Fuji, a Gala tastes like a Gala, etc.  However, maybe tree ripened apples are different?

Again I concur judging a variety from one fruit isn't best, but I still say it beats planting trees based on other's tastes and waiting to see if I like it, which is what I've done so far.

Alas, I think finding someone with similar tastes may be easier said than done.  There are so many factors and nuisances that make up preferential tastes, I'm not sure how one would find a taste twin.

I don't want to completely discount others taste experience.  Many times a taste consensus seems to hold true.  If a lot of people are agreed a certain cultivar is of poor quality, it probably is.  And if a lot of folks praise a cultivar, it's definitely worth considering, but taste it first, if you can.

Mark
KS