nafex - [NAFEX] Applesource tastings

  • From: "Alan Haigh" <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Applesource tastings
  • Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 07:55:19 -0400

I think the Applesource concept is a great idea, but I've never been able to rate an apple from just one season, let alone one apple.  Also the majority of the apples I grow are not the same apple when grown in another climate.  For instance, Goldrush is a world class tart here in my Zone 6 until it sweetens in storage while it gets sweet on the tree a little further south.  Other varieties like Jonagold are great 3 out of 4 years but bland and close to worthless on a bad year.  Some varieties like Baldwin are perfect for the weather we have here most years but not so good either further north or south.

So try your Applesource apples but don't assume that single apple accurately represents that cultivar, or even the bulk of apples on the tree it came from.  Also consider the recommendations of growers that have years of experience with a particular variety, especially if they grow in a similar climate.  Be aware of your own taste preferences and seek the opinions of growers that seem to have similar tastes.