nafex - Re: [NAFEX] one apple tree's history

  • From: Steve <sdw12986@aol.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] one apple tree's history
  • Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 23:29:50 -0400

Lon J. Rombough wrote:
More likely, it sprouted, but the sprouts were broken or eaten off by animals so they went unnoticed, but they kept the roots going long enough until one of the sprouts succeeded. I've seen that happen with a number of species.
-Lon Rombough

That is probably it. Like Donna, I first suspected that seedlings had sprouted up. The trouble with that theory is that the seedlings wouldn't be likely to resemble the original enough to fool anyone.
I did have that question about the original Hawkeye being striped red and the pictures not being striped and, in fact, some of the apples pictured looked a little too round to me. Still, I doubt a seedling would even be that close to the original.

Steve