nafex - [NAFEX] Hudson's Golden Gem apple

  • From: "Alan Haigh" <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Hudson's Golden Gem apple
  • Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 08:23:03 -0400

For the last couple seasons I've been very impressed with the quality of Hudson's Golden Gem.  It is very rich, quite sweet with an unusual crunchy texture.  This deeply russeted apple is pear-like but distinctly apple never the less.  It's a little like Golden Russett and looks like a more conical version of that apple but seems easier to grow- I think it would be equal to G R in creating a distinctly rich apple cider once you had more than you could use for fresh eating. It's probably the most unusual apple I grow.

I am describing it as grown in Zone 6 and imagine it might be excessively sweet in more southern climes.  I'm interested in other members experience with this apple.