nafex - [NAFEX] apple varieties

  • From: "Alan Haigh" <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] apple varieties
  • Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2008 19:03:39 -0400

Ohio ain't southeastern NY but I concur with positive reviews on W. Pride.  Zestar seems a nice apple that sequences well with Pride (next in line for harvest).  Here, Wolf R. mostly good just for cooking to most palates.  Melrose I've only tasted and not grown, but I like it and I know they grow it a lot there.

For me, the most important apples are my lates that I eat all winter.  I recommend Goldrush where you are, but I don't know anything about your tastes.  Here my favorite lates are Baldwin, Golden Russett, Braeburn, Jonagold and Goldrush but there are still a lot I haven't tasted.  I just tasted Cameo from my nursery for the first time today and I think it will be an excellent apple in a couple weeks- on the tart side here and apparently easy to grow.

My idea of a perfect apple is Ashmead's Kernel but I've only begun to harvest it from my own trees so I'm no expert on the cultivar although I know it has fans all over the country.  If you are a lover of Gala and Fuji you should probably ignore my advice although I do like an occassional Fuji when I'm in the mood for pure sweet.

Alan Haigh, the Home Orchard Co.