nafex - Re: [NAFEX] black walnut & pecan soils

  • From: "Donna &/or Kieran" <holycow@cookeville.com>
  • To: <gothardscott@yahoo.com>, "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] black walnut & pecan soils
  • Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 21:53:05 -0500

I read that for commercial production in TX, pecans can use 2,000 gallons of water per tree per week, so they should be planted where they can get their roots into the water table.  I wouldn't be surprised if pecans are a bit like eggplants, wanting lots of moisture but decent drainage.  Having said that, I can also say that pecans grew very well, making quite large trees along the well named Willow Ave in Cookeville, an area prone to squelchy conditions when it rains a lot.    Donna