nafex - [NAFEX] Late fruit

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: NAFEX <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Late fruit
  • Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 11:09:48 -0700

There was a thread on late ripening fruit to extend the season. One I forgot that is worth noting is Prunus insititia. I have a selection known as "White Bullace" that ripens a good month after other plums and will hang on the tree in good condition until the end of October, here in Oregon. That's as late as American persimmons. The fruits are cherry plum size, and while they won't match the best plums in flavor, they are pleasant and make excellent preserves. The descriptions sound like they should be equal to the hardier P. domestica plums, if not hardier. So far, in five years of bearing mine has covered itself solid with ropes of fruit every year. I have photos if anyone is interested.
-Lon Rombough
For all other things grape, http://www.vitisearch.com
A video about The Grape Grower : http://cookingupastory.com/index.php/2008/04/18/the-grape-grower/

  • [NAFEX] Late fruit, Lon J. Rombough, 09/26/2008