nafex - [NAFEX] Grafting Russian Olive, goumi, etc

  • From: John S <swim_at_svc@yahoo.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Grafting Russian Olive, goumi, etc
  • Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2008 03:35:32 -0700 (PDT)

I've had a King Red Russian Olive that has been experiencing die back similar to what was mentioned in Lee R's book.  I also have some common seedlings of Autumn Olive as well as an established tree that I have been trying to graft KRRO to.  So far, I can't tell that I've had success, but it has been decades since I've done any grafting, so technique is really poor. (Using bark and budding techniques)

Does anybody know if KRRO is graft compatible with autumn olive root stock or possibly seaberry rootstock.  I think someone may have said that ao is OK previously.  I'm also wondering if the ao (or seaberry) might confer some earlier fruiting for KRRO.  I'll be trying the seaberry if no one really knows the answer.

Thoughts?

Thanks
John

  • [NAFEX] Grafting Russian Olive, goumi, etc, John S, 09/27/2008