nafex - Re: [NAFEX] late season fruit for the SE

  • From: "David Consolvo" <fruitopia@firstva.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] late season fruit for the SE
  • Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 22:31:26 -0400

Asian and American persimmons. Some types of Americans don't really ripen
until
Xmas here in central Virginia. (Ripening at first frost is a myth --
ripening times
vary with each variety).

Fuzzy kiwifruit, formerly "Chinese gooseberry" (Actinidia deliciosa, formerly
Actinidea chinensis). An early ripening type barely ripens by November here
in
central Virginia before getting frozen. The standard variety Hayward might
be just
right for central North Carolina. A frost-protected site would help to get
the
young vines started.

~David Consolvo
Hungrytown, Virginia